Monday, October 24, 2016

Time!


I'm addicted ... to a meditation app. every morning right after waking up, and I set the alarm clock for it, I meditate for anything between 10 minutes and an hour. It makes me calm and happy and I get a yellow star in the app each time I have meditated 10 successive days and 5 yellow stars turn into a red start and lots of red stars become a green star, but I haven’t reached that stage yet. However, this does mean that I do not want to stop, and that's a good thing because I absolutely need that moment of peace before my day begins with a lot of noise and chaos in my head.

Because I do create a lot of have to do’s in my life ... although it has to be said that most of these ‘have to do’s’ are in fact great fun to spend time on, but I do seem to have very little of the latter. So I try and convince myself that I have all the time in the world. They say that what you think creates your reality so the ' I have all the time in the world ' is a keeper in my brain.

In the meantime I spread my attention between contacting guest-writers because they have not yet sent the promised article, locate or create hopefully beautiful photos, invent and prepare a dish every week and make photos of it – which means you know exactly what I am serving my Spanish husband for lunch – I look for special people for interviews, interesting topics for an article, and much more. The result is not one but two web magazines, respectively www.laherradura-cultural.eu, about the special seaside village in southern Spain where I live, and www.almunecar-cultural.eu about the wonderful Spanish town of Almuñécar which La Herradura is part of. And the feedback is fantastic. That makes me happy again.
It is a lot of work but a lot of fun to do as well. It started as a platform to promote my latest book, Reflections from La Herradura, but has grown into a serious culture and tourism information source with nice pictures and interesting facts.

And the ‘I have enough time’ concept seems to work as well as I have found the time to design a tattoo for someone, to design the labels for three handmade flamenco guitars that were created here in the village and I am finding the time to create a few paintings because I need some new work for my upcoming exhibitions. The first in
November in a new trendy restaurant in Nerja and then in December in the official exhibition space of the Town Hall in Nerja. I need an extra painting because today – and that makes me very happy – I sold one of my flamenco paintings. If you are curious you can see some more of my other flamenco ladies here.

Moreover, I found the time to be interviewed by Costa Women, and the interview has now been published on their site where I am introduced to a large group of women on the Spanish Costas. You can read it here if you want to get to know me even better! 

Talking about reading ... my book ‘Reflections from La Herradura’ sells steadily and most importantly, I get really nice reactions. It is in fact a book you can read anywhere. You don't have to necessarily have to be in La Herradura to enjoy it, but there might be a risk that you would like to visit it after you've read it. Curious? Just click here.


So it seems to ‘flow’ as far as my books are concerned and I am even getting a little bit famous! When, a few weeks ago, the doctor called my name to invite me in to take a look at my sore knee I was approached by a Spanish English teacher. His English was excellent and he asked whether I was the writer Renate van Nijen. He had bought and read my book Secret Thoughts and asked if he could purchase 25 copies of it – it had to be really cheap – for his 18 and 19 year old students so that they could read it as part of their literature class and then ask me questions about it when I'm going to give a talk about the book on November 23rd in the school. I have to say that this does slightly feels like a visit to the gynaecologist and I will have to put myself in a similar frame of mind. I don't know exactly what it is to have an outer body experience, but I can fairly easily convince myself that I'm not really there and it then feels as if I watching from a distance. It is both scary and challenging having to talk about Secret Thoughts to a large group of young people, but also fun and a compliment for my work.

There is some news for my book Cheers too as I met someone who has offered to promote it via the social media as a practice for her, and hopefully this will soon bear some fruit, because it is really a book that can help people and to be honest, all that tweeting, instagramming, buffering, linkedinning, etc. remains a bit of abracadabra for me. In case you are looking for some ideas for Christmas presents, all the books mentioned above are for sale via Amazon. 

And there is more good news. My mandala and flamenco images on bags, t-shirts and other products can now also be purchased much closer to home for those living in Europe. Previously, the products were printed on the other side of the world which resulted in very expensive shipment costs, but now you can order products with my images on it in Redbubble.com/es (in Spain) and Redbubble.com/de (In Germany). Considerably cheaper so quickly take a look as they are all good quality and super original. For example... great shopping bags with your own horoscope. A great present don’t you think?  No more plastic shopping bags so it is also fantastic for the environment!


Yes it is almost Christmas. Does time fly or do I have enough time to make all my self-imposed deadlines? Time will tell. Meanwhile, it's already half an hour past midnight, early morning in fact. Time for some peace and quiet in my head. Time for my meditation app.